The Fourth of July, is quite possibly one of my favourite holidays. I mean what not to love about it?BBQ’s and fireworks, it’s unashamedly American and it’s fantastic. Being British, people often ask why I love a holiday who’s historical implications are a result of us getting kicked out… To them I say, potatoes, potatoes. Spending most of my time between our two wonderful countries how could I not have grown to love such a holiday with a smörgåsbord of delicious foods? As the saying goes, “You are what you eat.” and in my case I am a gigantic bowl of mac n’ cheese, and hot dogs, and Philly cheesesteaks, and cheeseburger, and twinkles, and corn dogs, and pop tarts… I could go on but I’m making myself hungry.
It’s probably not the most ladylike thing to admit, however when I do find myself in the good ol’ U.S of A I eat everything in sight. And that is not an exaggeration. On my last trip I ate a doughnut EVERY.SINGLE. DAY.
it’s unashamedly American and it’s fantastic
I was in this super cute breakfast restaurant where they served you a doughnut before any breakfast, I was gushing about how amazing the doughnut was that the waitress looked at me and with total sincerity said “Do they not have doughnuts in the U.K?” A t this point one should have calmed down a bit, but instead I ate two more…
So for this recipe I decided to make an American favourite with a fourth of July twist. M&M Blondies. Of course I love brownies and if you wanted to you could use a brownie recipe, but I really wanted the red, white and blue M&M’s to pop so I used a blondie recipe instead. It’s a pretty straight forward recipe and should make a quick whip up for you fourth of July party. The original recipe calls for 250g of sugar but this can be adjusted to taste because that makes for one hell of toothache. So this time around I used half that amount.
So let’s begin party revellers!
Prep time 15 minutes
Cooking time is approximately 30-35minutes
This recipe should serve 24 small cut square pieces
250g plain flour
220g unsalted butter
1tsp vanilla extract
110g chopped white chocolate
1 bag of Red,White and Blue M&M’s
Begin by preheating the oven to 350F/180°c, gas mark 4, and line a square baking tin with parchment paper and grease with butter.
1. Start by melting the butter and the chopped white chocolate in a small sauce pan over the lowest setting possible. Once completely melted remove from stove and leave to cool.
2. Mix together the eggs and sugar till combined. Then add the vanilla extract.
3. Stir in the melted butter and chocolate, then once the mixture is smooth add the flour and salt.
4. Once the mixture is completely combined stir in, or sprinkle on top the M&M’s.
5. Pour mixture into the baking tin and bake for 30-35 minutes depending on your oven.
6. Remove and leave to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
Serve and let the party commence!